- The moon is _____ the size of the Earth.
- 30 Earth's could fit in between the Earth and moon
- The distance to the moon was determined by radar echo at 384,000 km
- The escape velocity of the moon is 2.4 km/sec! (For the Earth it is ___ km/sec)
- The moon rotates AND revolves in _____ days. Therefore the same ______ always faces us!
- We did not see the far side of the moon until the 1960's when we sent a rocket there!
- The moon was probably formed due to Earth's collision with
a large asteroid 3.5 bya.
- The moon is covered with craters and yet the Earth got hit just as many times.
- Why? Because the moon has:
- no erosion from _______ or wind
- never been through an ice age
- not had plate __________
What causes the phases of the moon?
- As the moon
revolves around the Earth, our perspective of the moon changes.
any one time one ______ of the moon reflects light from the sun.
- But from the Earth, we
can only see the part of the Moon that is ________ us.
So, the phases are caused by the different amounts of the ______'s light reflecting off the moon's surface.
New, Waxing Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full, Waning Gibbous, Third Quarter, Waning Crescent.
Animation of the phases of the moon
- Waxing means the moon's phases are getting _________ and waning means the moon's phases are getting __________.
- The Earth is not at the _________ of the moon's orbit. When the moon is closer to the Earth and it looks larger! (It always looks larger when its near the horizon.)
- Technically, the moon takes 27.3 days to orbit the Earth, but the Lunar phase cycle is _____ days. That's how long it takes for the moon to go through a full set of phases. The Earth moves so fast around the Sun (30 km/s or 108,000 km/h) that it takes 2.2 days for the Moon to catch up!!!
- When two full moons occur in the same month it is called a __________ moon.
- During a full moon people claim there are more suicides, psychiatric hospital emissions, dog bites, more road kill and more bank robberies. This is called the lunar lunacy effect.
Video on Facts and Phases of the Moon
The gravitational pull of the moon and _______ cause tides to form. Which has the greater effect?
- The moon is 400x closer but it is 1/400 the size of the sun! Looks the ________ size in the sky.
Most tides are about three feet in difference but the Bay of Fundy has a ______ foot difference!!!
There are two high tides and ______ low tides a day. The time between high tides is 12 hours and 24 minutes.
- Spring Tide- highest of the high tides and ________ of the low tides. The sun, Earth and the moon all line up to __________ the gravitational pull on the Earth's water. What phases would the moon be in?
- Neap Tide- the lowest of the high tides and the highest of the low tides. The moon is at a ________ angle to the sun's gravitational pull. What phases would the moon be in?
Lunar Eclipse- The moon disappears in the Earth's ____________
Solar Eclipse- The sun ____________ as the moon block's our view.
Songs about Space Travel: